w: www.meantime.co.uk
t: 01539 737 766

Tuesday 5 November 2013

Return of the mini


Apple vs Microsoft, Mac OS vs Windows, Mac vs.... what? Well, pretty much any appropriate collection of components, actually. 

Whereas Apple have always been able to write their software knowing the target hardware quite precisely, Windows runs on what is, too all intents and purposes, an infinite variety of machines. 

But Microsoft has always been lousy at promoting its real strengths. I mean, they don't write their adverts, they buy a company in to do it for them, yet their campaigns are still rubbish compared with Apple's. Just look their (slightly unsettling) "we built a shop in your front room" advert compared with Apple's well-written "I'm a Mac"/"And I'm a PC" campaign. (Amusing enough to distract anyone from mentioning Apple's underlying assumption that being short-sighted, overweight and middle-aged were all attributes that made you uncool.)

I don't think I've ever thought Microsoft was a wonderful company but in the face of the Apple Fanboys' evangelism I've often found myself provoked into arguing its case against Apple's. That hasn't stopped me buying Apple products: I *love* my iPod, although I wouldn't buy another iPhone, having fallen once for Apple's assumption that their consumers will upgrade their hardware to keep up with their amazing software developments (and I DON'T mean that sarcastically). 

Indeed, I was amazed when less than a year after releasing the first iPhone, Apple had the effrontery to market the second model as "The iPhone you've been waiting for". (Cue Apple Fanboys everywhere: "This is the 'phone I've been waiting for. These are not the 'droids we're looking for.")

And then Windows 8. 

I don't like it. At first I thought I just needed to adapt to the new interface but, months on, I really find it irritating still. So, I've bought a Mac Mini, which I'm going to trial at home first, and today I unpacked it. I love an "unboxing" and it has to be said that Apple's packaging is another area in which they seem to operate with unfailing style. 

Actually, I ran a Mac Mini at home a few years ago but the operating system has moved on considerably since then: I understand that I am now running 'Mavericks' (which I think I'd feel a bit awkward saying out loud). I must say I'm enjoying it so far but I always enjoy setting things up (even Ubuntu!). But, to be honest, my only real reservation is the Apple crowd thinking they've 'won'. Hey, I'm am MAD about Office365 :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment