w: www.meantime.co.uk
t: 01539 737 766

Friday 2 July 2010

Can you really spend £35 million on a website?

Let's suppose I told you I was going to buy myself a new car. If I also told you what I planned to spend, you would naturally make some informed assumptions about just what I was going to buy.

I might say £6,000 and you'd think maybe a second hand car or low spec Skoda. Somewhere between £15,000 and £40,000 and you'd probably assume that I was looking at a new car. And how about if I said £100,000 or £200,000? Then, perhaps, you'd get really interested in what kind of car I was buying (and where I'd got the money from).

But what if I told you I was spending a million pounds? Now you'd be a bit bemused. Can you buy a car for a million pounds? you might ask. What is it, armoured? Jewel encrusted?

Which brings me, perhaps not obviously, to the Business Link website.

Yesterday, the government announced they are scrapping Business Link: http://www.bmmagazine.co.uk/Business-Link-to-be-scrapped-by-Government.870 Now, depending on your experiences with Business Link, you might think that is the loss of a resource that is valuable to small business or you might think it's about time. (Personally, I enjoyed my meetings with my local advisor- he's a nice chap - but I'm not sure I ever got anything out of it apart from a bit of local business gossip).

But one thing in the article really caught my eye: "the total cost of developing the Business Link website is a mind blowing £35 million". Now, I can honestly say, having been in IT for 22 years and in web development since 1997, that I have no idea how they have managed to spend that much money on that website. Certainly at that price - and notwithstanding the fact it is government funded - I would expect it to be compliant with the Disability Discrimination Act (it isn't) and not have obvious bugs (like its CSS errors).

Even a quick scoot round the site - which you can find at http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/ - will demonstrate that it's feature rich and has plenty of useful resources. But you could speak to any number of web development companies of a certain size and find they have developed sites on a similar scale for a fraction of that cost (the exception, of course, being the company that built the Business Link site, who are presumably maintaining it from their summer offices in the south of France).

Of course, this is ultimately about government's widely acknowledged yet never tackled problems around IT procurement. All too often, the tail wags the dog, with government suppliers telling their clients just what they will deliver and at what cost. Yet the solution is simple: start talking to and dealing with smaller suppliers rather than the handful of large companies who have been fleecing the taxpayer for years.

No comments:

Post a Comment